This is a 6-session program for children who are between 18 and 36 months of age and have delayed social language skills and/or have been diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder. This includes parent coaching with practical hands-on strategies, information about how to use some new ways to help your child communicate (gestures and pictures), and take-home material (articles to read as well as “homework” to complete at home). Sessions are 50 minutes and are broken down into 40 minutes (direct instruction) and 10 minutes of parent coaching and home programming. Many of our clinicians are registered with the Saskatchewan Autism registry and meet the requirements for Individualized Program Funding. As well, services may be covered by your employer or personal health plan benefits.
Your child may benefit if he/she:
- Your child is not yet using words or has started using some single words
- Your child has a good understanding of language but has difficulty expressing themselves
- Has weak social and play skills
- 6 individual therapy sessions with an SLP, including parent coaching
- Personalized goal setting for your child (at the start and end of the program)
- Hands-on strategies (get down, pre-speech skills, imitation, etc.)
- Information about different ways to teach your child how to use other ways to communicate (i.e. using pictures and gestures/signs).