If your child is struggling to be understood, SLN speech therapy can help! We’ll assist them to coordinate their mouth, helping them better produce sounds to form words and sentences. This includes addressing articulation, fluency and voice volume regulation.
The SLN can help with all variety of speech delays, including:
1. Articulation & Phonology
Phonology delays deal with the rules for the structure and sequencing of speech sounds, and is related to language development and reading. Children who present with a phonological (sound sequencing) delay are hard to understand and may also have difficulties learning to read and acquire new language due to weak phonological skills (sound awareness).
Read more on phonological development
2. Childhood Apraxia of Speech
3. Voice Therapy
Voice therapy at the SLN is designed to meet the unique needs of each client. Therapy may consist of an established program or, the S-LP may combine several different techniques in order to achieve the highest level of success.
Stuttering may include repetitions of whole words, parts of words and initial letters of words and may also involve prolongations (stretching of sounds). Sometime speech may become blocked. The causes of stuttering are complex and varied.
In all instances, the assessment includes a detailed evaluation of fluency and a determination of speech and language features. Other factors that may contribute to a child’s fluency issues will be evaluated e.g. confidence when speaking, challenges communicating with friends etc.
The ability to understand and express language is vital to your child’s development. From written, pictorial, body and sign forms, to alternative communication systems such as computers and iPads, the SLN can help your child develop the language skills necessary for success.
Children may require language therapy due to a developmental delay, a specific diagnosis (such as specific language impairment, autism, Down syndrome, or hearing loss), and/or because they have difficulties acquiring language in the same way as their peers.
We can assist with a wide range of language delays, including:
1. Language Delays
- Basic concept development
- Oral comprehension (receptive language) – concept & vocabulary development, problem solving, language processing
- Oral expression (expressive language) – functional labeling & requesting, word & sentence structures, expressing thoughts and ideas clearly and concisely
- Reading Comprehension – language organization
- Social (pragmatic) language therapy – learning how to socially use, change and follow language in different contexts and environments.
2. Language Processing Delays (Auditory Processing)
Augmentative and alternative communication (AAC)