Art Therapy for Kids
Does your child struggle with behavioural issues, emotional outbursts, transitions or navigating life changes? Art therapy can help.
This six-week program for children ages 5 to 8 who are struggling with new and old transitions, behavioural issues, emotional outbursts, or are encountering challenging circumstances in their life. Sessions run for an hour and fifteen minutes, and consist of a short introduction and check in, 45 minutes of art making time, and a closing circle where everyone is welcome to share their art and artistic process.
Art therapy works with the brain and body to facilitate self exploration and healing. Using a “whole brain” model, the Art Therapist works with clients using materials that engage their senses. This sensory stimulation and support from the Art Therapist help to settle the lower brain (regulating breathing and heart rate), connect with the middle brain (emotions like anger and fear, and memory formation), and finally process and integrate experiences with the upper brain. Group art therapy also provides social interaction in a safe, controlled environment, helping to build empathy and other important social skills.
Your child may benefit if they…
- Need support transitioning to new events, activities and routines
- Need support identifying and managing their emotions
- Have a diagnosis that impacts their day to day functioning
- Have experienced disruptive life events (parental separation, death of a close friend or family member, moving, etc…).
- Need help to build healthy, age appropriate social skills in a group setting
The program includes:
- 6 sessions with a Professional Art Therapist
- A complimentary in-person intake session (20 mins), a mid-point check in between week 3 & 4 (via phone / email), and a complimentary closing meeting (20 mins) in person.
- All materials and art supplies (Value: $55.00)
- Recommendations for easy art activities to do with your child in the home!
- To improve self regulation
- Enhance emotional expression through a healthy outlet
- Increase social connection and skills
- Build resilience and coping skills for dealing with challenges and transitions
Tuesday, Sept. 29th 4:00 PM to 6:00PM
Late afternoon 4:15 PM – 5:30 PM
Tuesday October 6th, 13th, 20th, & 27th
Tuesday November 3rd & 10th