Art Therapy for Teens
Does your teen struggle with expressing their emotions, anxiety, depression, or challenging behaviours? If so, this program designed for teens 13+ and may be for you.
Art Therapy works with the brain and body to facilitate self exploration and healing. When a person is in talk therapy, they are engaging with the front of their brain, thinking about what to say and immediately trying to verbalize feelings. Art Therapy is different, and uses a “whole brain” model. During sessions the Art Therapist works with clients using materials that engage their senses. This sensory stimulation and support from the Art Therapist help to settle the lower brain (regulating breathing and heat rate), connect with the middle brain (emotions like anger and fear, and memory formation), and finally process and integrate experiences with the upper brain. Many of the barriers and resistance that teens experience with talk therapy are bypassed by engaging the whole brain with enjoyable and engaging art activities that facilitate expression naturally.
Your teen may benefit if they…
- Have a diagnosis that impacts their day to day functioning
- Are struggling with identity, self esteem, or life transitions
- Need an outlet for healthy emotional expression
An Art Therapy session runs for 1 hour and 15 minutes, with a short check in at the 45 minute mark with the art therapist to discuss the piece, followed by sharing with the group and closing. Teens have the choice to work on a directive presented by the Art Therapist or to create spontaneous art; both are great!
The program includes:
- 6 sessions with a Professional Art Therapist
- A complimentary in-person intake session (20 mins), a mid-point check in between week 3 & 4 (via phone / email), and a complimentary closing meeting (20 mins) in person
- All materials and art supplies
- Recommendations for easy art activities to do at home.
***SMALL GROUP (max. 4 participants)
- Enhancing emotional expression through a healthy outlet
- Building emotional language and tolerance for overwhelming emotions
- Identity exploration and building self esteem
- Building resilience and coping skills for dealing with challenges
Ends Friday, January 8th.
Phone in Registration by January 8th. Emily, our professional Art Therapist will contact you to set up a meeting.
6:30pm – 7:45pm
Wed. January 13th, 21st, & 28th
Wed. February 3rd, 10th, & 24th