CTPPS – Communication Training Program for Professionals and Students
Age: 18+ years
Dates: January 25th, & February 1st, 2023 (evening sessions)
This is necessary on many fronts including but not limited to; phone calls, online meetings, group work, formal and informal presentations, one-on-one conversations, impromptu discussions and Q and A sessions. Regardless of the situation, you need to use strong speech language skills and to sound authentic, confident and genuine.
In the Communication Training Program for Professionals and Post Secondary Students (CTPPS), you will learn how to use your voice in a healthy but effective manner, how to speak and communicate effectively and how to connect with people.
This workshop will teach you the art of connecting with others and will guide you to speak with confidence, clarity and an inspirational message. The CTPPS is offered over two evenings which includes; an actionable communication plan, meeting people in a supportive learning environment, an opportunity to connect and share stories about communication triumphs and areas that are hard, and gaining a stronger sense of self and confidence when speaking.
This workshop targets:
- The use of your breath as it relates to the control of voice projection, fluency, effective speaking and enunciation
- Your ability to express your thoughts with a clear, logical structure and be understood.
- Your conversation skills with peers and colleagues at school, in the work place, and out in the community
- Your understanding and use of the various social nuances of language such as sarcasm, humour, figurative language, slang
- Approach communication with the intent to inspire action and connect.
You may benefit if:
- You want to improve your conversational skills
- You’re somewhere between conversant and fluent
- You’re in business and want a better command of the use of language
- You speak with an accent and would like to refine it
- You’d like to be better understood by other people
- You’d like to better understand other people (social nuances, inflections)
- You’d like to understand different personality types
- You have anxiety in speaking with others
- You’d like to feel more confident about mingling with strangers, or people you don’t know really well
- You’d like to broaden your social circles and get out more but feel hampered by the way you talk and communicate
- People have trouble understanding you (or perceive you the wrong way)
- You don’t know what people mean by “the art of conversation”
All participant materials pre-work materials will be sent digitally prior to the course start date. Participants will experience small group learning for one-on-one interaction and the ability to implement these learnings immediately. Participants will also be able to reflect on their implementation strategies during break out sessions.
This workshop is led by Kara Broks, founder of The Speech Language Network and a skilled clinician in voice, speech training and effective communication.
Adult Stuttering Program (1 Day)
In this workshop, you will have the opportunity to learn skills, gain insights, and share perspectives regarding stuttering with people who “get it.” You will gain confidence in speaking and learn skills to foster more positive speaking interactions. The workshop will include many meaningful activities including self reflections tasks, opportunities to practice new skills, discussion groups, and presentations. Participants will be provided an introduction to each skill and given strategies to help support their learning and daily functioning.
Areas that will be covered:
- Assessing stuttering severity and factors contributing to stuttering
- Discussing emotional responses to stuttering
- Perspective taking and paradigm shifts
- Training in reducing fears and avoidance behaviours
- Review of stuttering techniques & strategies
- Managing stuttering
- Improving effective communication
- Saying what you want to say, when you want to say it
- Stuttering acceptance
You may benefit if:
You have social language difficulties, are concerned about speaking up at work or in school, are nervous about being considered for promotion due to fears of speaking in public, or need help with the skills above.